The University of Michigan Law Library seeks a dual-degreed law librarian to serve as a Reference Librarian
All Reference Librarians at the University of Michigan have reference and research responsibility, which is combined with responsibility for managing, supervising, and/or coordinating one or more functions or sub-units within the Reference & Faculty Services Unit and/or with responsibility for collection development. In addition, all reference librarians:
- Work assigned reference desk shifts during business hours and also participate in the evening and weekend rotation at the reference desk; librarians provide leadership and expertise to student assistants at the reference desk during desk hours.
- Provide reference service in all areas of law for all jurisdictions, as well as in non-law subject areas.
- Participate in bi-weekly collection development meetings and other intra and inter-departmental committee and working groups, including serving as chair as assigned.
- Provide bibliographic instruction sessions and research consultations, and create research guides.
- Fill in for each other and provide back-up supervisory functions during vacations and other absences, as needed and/or assigned.
- Perform faculty research as assigned and/or as needed.
- May be called upon to teach Advanced Legal Research or other legal research courses as needed and/or as assigned.
- May be assigned other duties.
This Reference Librarian will:
- Manage, supervise, and coordinate the Reference Desk operation. Responsible for hiring, training, supervising, and scheduling approximately 10-15 law students to provide reference service. Involves creating, updating, implementing, and maintaining systems, manuals, and forms. Work with Head of Public Services to coordinate and manage the implementation of the Law Library Limited Access Policy at the Reference Desk.
- Have responsibility for developing the Law Library collection in assigned area(s). Collection development responsibility includes selecting new materials in all formats, reviewing materials received on approval plans, writing selection policies, and maintaining the Collection Development policy for assigned area(s).
- Develop and revise Law Library audio tours.
- Coordinate outreach efforts to law students, including exam coffee break, therapy dogs, and newsletters. Work with Head of Public Services to plan and implement new outreach efforts.
- Serve on Law Library committees and working groups, including the Librarians and Unit Leaders Group, Collection Development, and the Student Employee Training Working Group.
Supervision Received: General supervision is received from the Head of Public Services.
Supervision Exercised: Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over 10-15 student employees.
Salary: minimum $63,000 depending on education and experience; benefits worth 28% of salary.
Available: Applications accepted until February 15, 2017. For full consideration, all documents must be received by February 28, 2017. Applications considered upon receipt.
A complete application requires the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for three professional references; indicate professional relationship with each reference
- A list of all post-secondary schools attended
- Copies of transcripts for all post-secondary schools attended; official transcripts are not required
To apply: Send by email to the Search Committee, University of Michigan Law Library, email@example.com:
- Application documents 1-4 above combined into one PDF file
- Copies of all post-secondary transcripts combined into a second PDF file
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For a complete job description, please see:
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.