The LA Law Library is currently seeking an innovative and energetic librarian to manage all resource acquisitions operations for the Library’s world class collection. Under the general supervision of the Director of Collection Management Services, the Managing Librarian, Serials & Acquisitions is responsible for overseeing the acquisitions, receipt, invoicing, and claiming of materials across the library, and maintains responsibility for fiscal integrity of acquisition and payment processes. This position has overall responsibility for the oversight and disbursement of the Library’s $2.5 million acquisitions budget, working closely with the Senior Librarian of Collection & Branches on budget forecasting, administration and analysis, and assists with collection development decisions. The Managing Librarian will oversee a work unit of 3 staff. The Managing Librarian initiates, negotiates and maintains relations with booksellers, subscription agents and content providers, and evaluates their performance. This position requires a dynamic, self-motivated individual who is committed to process improvement and is flexible and forward-thinking.
Supervises Acquisitions and Serials staff who order and record materials that are received on the basis of firm orders, subscriptions, standing orders, and depository programs in all formats, including electronic resources and global materials in numerous languages.
- Oversees workflow in the Acquisitions and Serials group and makes appropriate task assignments with regard to acquiring and receiving in the local Integrated Library System (ILS)
- Monitors quality of activities and provides training as needed and determines appropriate corrective measures
- Analyzes and evaluates workload to ensure appropriate staffing levels
- Develops written instructions and keeps them current
- Initiates, negotiates and maintains relations with booksellers, subscription agents, and content providers, and evaluates their performance. Monitors vendor statements and resolves complex vendor problems
- Participates in hiring, evaluation, counseling, and disciplining of direct reports
Maintains integrity of financial tracking, decision-making and approval regarding acquisitions of library materials
- Proposes, supports, and monitors the budget for library materials
- Oversees approval of payment process pursuant to policy and budget
- Provides budget analysis & reports, and ensures budget projections are achieved
Manages Claim procedures
- Coordinates and distributes claim notices produced by the local ILS
- Handles complex claims
- Monitors staff to ensure claiming process is completed and material is received in a timely manner.
Coordinates major cancellation projects
- Identifies required steps for each project; plans, organizes and executes process and assigns tasks
- Trains staff on how to create and/or update the local ILS records when appropriate
- Assures that all purchase order and check-in component information is updated when changes occur
- Assures that correct MARC holding records are updated with bound volume information, new components, or other related information
Coordinates the Federal Depository program
- Oversees receipt, claiming and weeding of government documents
- Completes survey forms, updates depository selections in coordination with Director, Collection Management Services and Reference staff
Participates in achieving divisional and departmental goals
- Collects and maintains statistics for library collection.
- Coordinates activities with other Collection Management Supervisors
- Assists in problem solving by analyzing and evaluating information found in library catalogs, web sites and other tools
- Provides input for departmental and divisional policies and procedures
- Provides reports, statistics and data analysis with recommendations as required
- Participates in contract negotiations as one of the members of the team
- Provides collection development recommendations
- Coordinates used book sales and their pricing
- Participates in library’s materials preservation policies and procedures
- Participates in staff meetings, group activities or committee assignments
- Reports and acts on violations of the Law Library’s policies including its non-harassment policies
- Other duties as assigned.