LEGAL SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT
Location: Seattle, WA
SUMMARY:The International Law and Technology Association (ILTA) has named DWT the most innovative law firm of the year two years running, in no small part due to the De Novo team.
De Novo is DWT’s legal solution design and consulting team. De Novo supplements DWT’s legal subject matter expertise with innovations in technology, project management, process improvement, and data analysis to design cutting edge legal solutions that work for business. These solutions are driven by what the client actually needs and can vary from building a managed service that handles high volume contract review to mining data about a client’s workforce that analyzes trends and proactively identifies problem areas.
Because the De Novo team uses small specialized teams for its solution deployment, the Legal Solutions Architect (LSA) needs to wear multiple hats and switch back and forth to roles in three key areas:
1) Relationship building, 2) Program and project management, and 3) Thought leadership.
Although LSAs should have substantial skills in each of the three areas, some candidates will have more strength in some areas and more weaknesses in others. The ideal candidate will be motivated to assess his or her strengths and weaknesses and develop a professional development plan with the Operations Director.
Relationship Building: De Novo works closely with law partners and business leaders to delight clients. The LSA is expected to:
- Be the single point of contact for client in-house counsel (IHC) and DWT relationship attorneys with legal solution needs, fielding communication, escalating issues, and allocating resources as necessary
- Interview client, attorney, and staff stakeholders to gather requirements; synthesize and prioritize requirements to produce formal solution requirements for IT and other implementers
- Understand client context, research competitive intelligence, and survey stakeholders about legal solutions
- Create and present legal solution proposals and business plans to leadership
- Understand and represent De Novo differentiators and service offerings
- Help DWT and De Novo win business by contributing to and participating in client pitches and RFPs
- Demonstrate past success working in the legal industry or another professional industry
- Demonstrate past ability to move opportunities from leads to wins
Project and Program Management: De Novo is strategic about solution deployment and ensures every client has a single point of contact for its projects. Larger programs may entail managing several individual projects and project managers.
The LSA is expected to:
- Design legal solutions to address client needs
- Manage a portfolio of legal solution programs and projects
- Create project plans, track deliverables, and report on status and goals
- Analyze data to give stakeholders operational insight using tools like Excel, SharePoint, Power BI, and Tableau
- Learn new tools and demonstrate past successes (such as data visualization software, document automation software, case management software, document management software, or project management software)
- Allocate resources and work on and lead small teams
Thought Leadership: As a provider of “law-plus” services inside an established law firm, De Novo is recognized as a leader in legal innovation. This kind of pioneering work creates fertile ground for business case analysis and lessons learned. De Novo LSAs are committed to seeing around the corner and sharing these insights with the law and technology community.
The LSA is expected to:
- Mine projects for lessons-learned, use-case analyses, and business trends
- Keep up to date on emerging legal technologies
- Participate and present at legal and technology conventions, seminars, and trade shows
- Author pieces for law and technology publications
- Demonstrate proven experience identifying and adopting technology solutions
- Demonstrate experience presenting to large audiences