Law Library Faculty - Technical Services Librarian
Valparaiso University Law School
Valparaiso University Law School invites applications for the position of Technical Services Librarian. This is a tenure track library faculty position reporting to the Associate Dean for Library Services. The Technical Services Librarian will play a key role in providing and maintaining access to the Law Library’s collection by directing the technical services functions of cataloging, serials, and physical processing of the collection while providing oversight of the Law School’s portion of the University’s integrated library system.
We seek to recruit a skilled and energetic librarian who, in addition to overseeing the technical service functions of the library, may also be interested in participating in the delivery of our three semester program of legal research required of all Valparaiso University law students and taught by the library faculty.
- Oversight of cataloging for all library materials.
- Performing continuous review of catalog to maintain records and implement changes
- Ensuring compliance with national and local standards for bibliographic control
- Serving as the Law School’s systems administrator for Innovative Millennium.
- Oversight of interlibrary loan, and the physical processing of library materials
- Oversight of serials, including the use of Serials Solutions in close partnership with the main campus library
- Gathering statistical information needed for annual surveys and other reports
- Supervising one staff member and a student assistant
- Advising the Associate Dean for Library Services on issues and new developments in library systems, as well as trends associated with the delivery of electronic resources and integration of electronic resources within the library collection
- Collaborating with other members of the Law Library faculty and staff to provide faculty and student support including reference services
- Other duties as assigned
- M.L.S. / M.L.I.S. from an ALA-accredited library school
- In-depth knowledge of cataloging, including current standards
- In-depth knowledge of one or more integrated library systems
- In-depth knowledge of OCLC
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively
- Ability to communicate and forge effective working relationships with colleagues from all levels campus-wide
- Ability to manage complex activities and projects
- Strong service orientation
- Ability to meet Law Library tenure and promotion requirements
- Experience administering Innovative Millennium
- J.D. from ABA-approved law school
- Supervisory skills
- Prior experience in an academic law library
- Teaching experience and a desire to participate in the delivery of the Law School’s legal research curriculum.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds. In addition to strong academic qualifications and excellence in teaching, the University highly values experience in working across cultural and other significant differences.
Candidates should be interested in working at a university engaged in issues in Christian higher education in the Lutheran tradition.
Salary / Rank
Salary and rank will be commensurate with experience. Valparaiso University offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Application Deadline and Procedures
The position is available immediately and will remain open until filled, though full consideration is assured only to applications received by March 10, 2017. All application materials must be submitted electronically through Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/40583. Complete applications must include a cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position, current curriculum vitae or resume, and three professional references. For questions regarding this position, please contact Steve Probst, chair of the search committee at Steven.Probst@valpo.edu or (219) 465-7820.
Valparaiso University does not unlawfully discriminate and aims to employ persons of various backgrounds and experiences to develop and support a diverse community. Its entire EOE policy can be found at http://www.valpo.edu/general-counsel/policies/equal-opportunity-policy.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a satisfactory criminal background check.