Director of Litigation
Job posted by: Americans for Immigrant Justice
Americans for Immigrant Justice (AI Justice – formerly FIAC) is an award winning, nationally recognized pro bono law firm that protects and promotes the basic human rights of immigrants. In Florida and on a national level, we champion the rights of unaccompanied immigrant children; advocate for survivors of human trafficking and domestic violence; serve as a watchdog on immigration detention and enforcement practices and policies; and speak for immigrant groups who have particular and compelling claims. Grounded in real-world, boots on the ground experience, AI Justice’s work on the frontlines in Florida informs its broader policy work.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Litigation will litigate federal claims on behalf of individuals, classes and organizational plaintiffs, including challenges to unlawful policies, practices and conduct by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Customs and Border Protection, Citizenship and Immigration Services and DHS contractors.
The Director of Litigation will be responsible for the following:
- Direct complex individual and class-action federal litigation involving immigrants’ rights, with an emphasis on constitutionally-based claims, civil rights actions, arbitrary government policies and practices, and conditions of immigration detention.
- Prepare Freedom of Information Act requests and handle related litigation, analyze and compile information obtained from FOIA requests; submit appellate petitions for review, habeas petitions and mandamus actions.
- Coordinate media and other advocacy efforts surrounding litigation, including preparation of press releases, interviews and other public speaking engagements.
- Develop and foster strong relationships with local and national advocates to devise creative strategies for addressing systemic issues affecting immigrants.
- Direct amicus curiae strategy on behalf of AI Justice; prepare amicus briefs for federal and state appellate cases in collaboration with other advocates.
- Supervise and train an expanding litigation team; provide mentorship and assistance to partnering pro bono lawyers.
- Develop strategies and advocate for changes in and adoption of federal and state immigration policy advancing the civil and human rights of immigrants.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time, permanent position. Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a competitive benefits package.
How to apply
To Apply: Please email your letter of interest, resume, list of references, and writing sample to email@example.com and include “DIRECTOR OF LITIGATION” in the subject line.
Due to the large response, only complete applications will be considered and only those applicants invited to interview will be contacted.
AI Justice is an EOE/AA employer and encourages women and minorities to apply.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED