Office: New York, Philadelphia or Washington
Department: Attorney Recruiting & Development
Reports to: Director of Attorney Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: Core Hours: 9 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday – Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required to fulfill job requirements
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Director of Attorney Development and direction of the Director of Attorney Development and the Firmwide Professional Development Partner, and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Attorney Training & Development Manager is responsible for designing, developing, and delivering substantive legal skills training and other professional development programs firmwide. The Attorney Training & Development Manager is expected to serve as a positive role model and mentor, and to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, efficient and effective departmental operations, and an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Attorney Training & Development Manager must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Work closely and frequently with each practice to design and develop training curricula and programming in support of their specific training and development needs and aligned with the firm’s core competency model.
- Partner with the Director of Attorney Development and other members of the attorney development team to identify and address training needs, develop curricula, and implement programs to maximize effectiveness and quality.
- Liaise with internal presenters to design, prepare and deliver effective training.
- Identify and coordinate internal and external resources for the delivery of other skills-based training such as legal writing and research, communication and presentation skills, leadership development training and business development training.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of technical and operational support during the design and implementation of training programming.
- Design and develop metrics and reports to measure and demonstrate success and application of training programming as well as strategies to promote training programming, increase attendance, and maximize effectiveness.
- Working with practice management, ensure training programming is tailored to developmental needs and responsive to feedback collected in the attorney performance evaluation process.
- Work with the Director of Attorney Development and other members of the attorney development team to build new initiatives and programs to ensure the continued professional development of the firm’s attorneys.
- Keep abreast of trends in professional development for attorneys, and evaluate seminar content and presenter effectiveness to ensure efficient delivery of content and attorney interest on topic.
- Promote internal and external training and development opportunities to the firm’s attorneys.
- Manage and monitor annual budgeting process for Attorney Development department, ensuring cost-effectiveness of programming against budget.
- Work with the Attorney Development team to develop, manage, and execute firmwide orientations and retreats.
- Work with the Director of Attorney Development to implement diversity & inclusion training initiatives, and keep abreast of the training trends in this area.
- Manage the firm’s Training & CLE Database.
- Supervise assigned department employees.
- Liase with Human Resources to identify synergies with Business Services training and development programming, with the goal of increasing efficiency with similar programming.
- Assist in the preparation of training and development related updates and reports for firm leadership, including the management committee.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Familiarity with California, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and Washington, DC CLE requirements
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook and Excel
- Experience in working with attorney recruiting databases required
- Familiarity with viDesktop highly desirable
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers; attorneys; office, firm and practice management; and outside business partners
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple projects with specific deadlines and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to use initiative and judgment to accomplish results
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to delegate and manage resources effectively
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to use critique of work to improve performance
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
- Commitment to staying informed of industry standards and best practices through professional development, to including professional reading, membership in industry groups and organizations, and participation in seminars and conferences
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of four plus years’ experience in professional development or training in a law firm or other legal or professional services organization desired
- Advanced degree and/or experience in instructional design or adult learning preferred