AM2018 Research Services Librarian (Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Century City)
Reed Smith LLP
July 12, 2018
San Francisco, California
Full Time - Experienced
MLS/MLIS & JD
We have two open positions and are looking for one qualified candidate in the Pittsburgh area, and one qualified candidate who will be stationed in one of our California offices.
The Research Librarian is responsible for providing research solutions to attorneys and staff both on-site and remotely ( i.e. providing support to other offices), on a time critical basis. The librarian works with colleagues throughout the firm, using traditional and online resources to respond to these requests.
· Conducts in-depth legal and business research individually and in a team environment for attorneys, paralegals and staff throughout all offices of the Firm.
· Interprets inquiries and recommends appropriate tools for a given project, based on client needs, the nature of the research and coverage of the resource.
· Master skill level with legal research systems and uses cost-effective methods to conduct complex legal research in a timely manner.
· Develops expertise by specializing in one or two areas of practice specific legal research.
· Creates and delivers professional-quality research education sessions for lawyers and staff on a regular basis.
· Records and reports research projects and time using InTapp and RefTracker in a manner that meets deadlines, provides meaningful ROI information and assists the Firm in cost recovery.
· Assists in orientation of new attorneys to library services, procedures and policies.
· Collaborates with Research Services Librarians, Specialists and/or Research Services Manager on special projects.
· Miscellaneous duties and projects as required.
Education: M.L.S. or J.D. from accredited institution; equivalent experience considered.
Experience: Working knowledge of corporate/law firm environment is preferred. Preference also for candidates with commercial litigation, labor & employment, and corporate / securities research experience.
Skills: Proficiency with searching Westlaw, Bloomberg Law, Lexis Advance, Capital IQ, Securities Mosaic, ECF/Pacer, CCH Cheetah, MonitorSuite, BNA, Accurint and MS Office applications. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work with individuals at all organizational levels. Must be flexible and able to effectively manage multiple priorities, and adapt to constantly changing priorities.
Equipment to be Used: Must be able to operate computer, barcoder and other office machines such as fax, calculator, telephone, etc.
Typical Physical Demands: Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office machines such as computers, fax machines, calculators, telephones and other office equipment.
Typical Mental Demands: Ability to deal with the stress associated with a fast-paced work environment. Ability to handle multiple priorities and tasks, and demonstrate good judgment when making decisions. Ability to grasp and apply new ideas and adapt to changing work situations.
Working Conditions: Occasionally called upon to work hours in excess of 40 in a given work week. Works in a typical office setting. Position requires the successful applicant to commute and work from the Reed Smith office.
Reed Smith offers a challenging work environment, business casual dress code and a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, flexible benefits program, tuition assistance, and generous 401 (k) plan.
Qualified candidates only, No search firms.
Reed Smith is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reed Smith's success depends heavily on the effective utilization of qualified people, regardless of their race, ancestry, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran's status, or any characteristic protected by law. As a firm, we adhere to and promote equal employment opportunity for all.
About Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith represents many of the world's leading companies in complex litigation and other high-stakes disputes, cross-border and other strategic transactions, and crucial regulatory matters.
With lawyers from coast-to-coast in the United States, as well as in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, Reed Smith is known for its experience across a broad array of industry sectors. Reed Smith counsels 13 of the world's 15 largest commercial and savings banks; 25 of the world's 35 largest oil and gas companies; and many of the world's largest pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers. Reed Smith's shipping practice has been designated among the most preeminent in the world, and its advertising law practice is regarded as among the legal industry's finest.