Fowler School of Law at Chapman University - Hugh & Hazel Darling Law Library
October 3, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
Academic/Law School, Legal Education
MLS/MLIS & JD
The Hugh & Hazel Darling Law Library at the Dale E. Fowler School of Law at Chapman University in Orange, California has an opening for a Research/Instruction Librarian.
Reporting to the Associate Director for Library Services, the Research/Instruction Librarian collaborates with other law librarians to develop, expand, and provide library services including reference and research services; teaches in the library’s instructional program; and participates in collection development and other activities to fulfill the Law Library’s role in supporting the research and educational needs of the Law School community.
This position requires a strong commitment to teaching legal research skills essential to the practice of law, a deep understanding of the Law School’s curriculum, faculty research interests, library operations, legal information resources, and research methodologies in all formats.
To receive full consideration, application materials, including a Cover Letter and Resume, should be submitted by October 19, 2018, but the position will remain open until filled.
Provide high level reference assistance to library users. • Participate in research help desk coverage. • Actively assist library users in identifying and using print and online resources. • Collaborate with other librarians to create and maintain research and bibliographic tools in a variety of media.
Provide in-depth research assistance for faculty. • Conduct detailed, thorough research on requested topics requiring substantive legal analysis. • Produce written documentation of research findings for faculty.
Provide research instruction to the Law School community in collaboration with other law librarians. • Teach legal research in a variety of settings, including the first year Legal Research & Writing curriculum and Advanced Legal Research courses. • Teach specialized research topics to groups and individuals. • Develop instructional content and materials.
Participate in collection development activities. • Collaborate with other librarians in collection analysis, evaluation, and selection of materials to support the curriculum and faculty research interests. • Assist with collection development projects.
Perform other duties as assigned.
• JD from an ABA accredited institution.
• MLS from an ALA accredited institution or an equivalent relevant advanced degree.
• Experience in academic law libraries providing research and other library services for law faculty and students.
• Knowledge of best practices for developing instructional materials and delivering legal research instruction.
• Knowledge of current best practices in legal research methodologies and legal information resources in all formats.
• Ability to conceptualize, implement, and coordinate library programs, both independently and as part of a team in a dynamic, changing environment.
• Commitment to expanding, improving, and promoting library services.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills to work with diverse groups at all organizational levels, both inside and outside the University.
• Excellent writing skills and strong attention to detail; ability to produce clear, concise, accurate documentation.
• Ability to independently prioritize tasks when faced with interruptions and fluctuating workload.
• Ability to learn and interpret university policies and procedures.
• Technical skills to learn and use enterprise systems and departmental tools.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants for Staff and Administrator positions must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Chapman University does not sponsor applicants for Staff and Administrator positions for work visas.
The offer of employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion and outcomes of a criminal background screening, and returning to the Office of Human Resources a signed original acceptance of the Chapman University Agreement to Arbitrate.
Internal Number: 20170353
About Fowler School of Law at Chapman University - Hugh & Hazel Darling Law Library
Chapman University, located in the historic town of Orange in southern California, provides a stunning setting for the Fowler School of Law, frequently ranked among the top ten law schools for “Best Quality of Life” by the Princeton Review.